A Healthy Spine in the New Year
Common New Year’s resolutions include eating healthier and exercising more, but in obtaining good health, we often forget to address the backbone of our bodies, literally. A healthy spine is the key to a properly functioning body that is needed to maintain an active lifestyle. Here are 5 tips you can follow this year to ensure the health of your spine.
- Good posture: Proper posture starts with keeping your back straight, chest out, and shoulders back to avoid slouching. When sitting, your chair should be at a height that allows your feet to rest flat on the ground with your knees at a 90 degree angle. When lifting heavy objects off the ground, bend your knees and use your legs and abdominal muscles, not your back. Hold objects close to your body when carrying them. Do not lift heavy objects that are above waist level.
- Ergonomic working conditions: When using a computer, your keyboard should not be more than an arm’s length away from your body. Your arms and elbows should rest comfortably on your desk or the arm of your chair with your wrists in a neural position. The computer monitor should be at a height that keeps your neck straight and your eyes looking forward, not up or down.
- Proper workout form: Ask a professional trainer to teach you the proper way to perform each exercise and start with a weight you are comfortable lifting 12 to 15 times. Maintain proper breathing and incorporate adequate rest between movements.
- Adequate movement: Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for more than 30 minutes at a time. Take frequent walk breaks throughout the day and drink plenty of water.
- Visiting the chiropractor: Last, but certainly not least, make an appointment to see a licensed chiropractor. Routine adjustments can correct misalignments and imbalances before they cause issues such as back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, herniated disks, and pinched nerves, just to name a few. Properly functioning nerves, muscles, and joints all start with an aligned spine and end with a healthier you. If you are in the Clinton, MD area, call Dr. Anane today and be on your way to a healthier lifestyle this year!